Haiti Now is a non-profit organization that seeks to give economic empowerment to girls in Haiti’s Restavek system through education and a safe environment.
My role as a UX Researcher and Designer was to optimize the website for growth so that Haiti Now could have the impact that it seeks. I collaborated with the CEO, Project Manager, Developer and Copywriter to launch this project.
I started this project with 3 observational interviews of users interacting with the previous version of the website because I wanted to see the website from their point of view. I also wanted to detect any usability issues and make note of what was working so as to make the most of it.
Understanding the industry for a specific business is always a good next step because it allows me to find branding opportunities for the organization. Therefore, I conducted competitive analysis of three non-profit organizations that also focus on the Restavek issue in Haiti.
In order to answer the question “how might we increase donations for Haiti Now?” I recruited individuals who had previously made online donations and interviewed them.
In the end, I held 7 unstructured interviews with my target user. My goal was to understand the reasons, values, needs, and motivations behind their behavior so that I can gather the insights necessary for optimizing the website to meet the user’s needs.
Next, I created a Google spreadsheet to organize all of the insights I gathered from interviewing users into a Customer Experience Map. My goal was to make sense of the insights and information gathered as a timeline of events that a user goes through when they make the decision to donate.
I then complemented the Customer Experience Map with a Task Model. I love Task Models because they allow me to break down a task to its smallest and most basic steps. This in turn helps me create designs that follow the mental frameworks that are most intuitive to users.
Using all of the information I gathered through interviews, I then created 3 user personas that would become my North Star when designing all of the pages, coming up with SEO keywords, and the kind of content the pages would need.
In the end, the user personas also became marketing personas. Therefore, the personas had to acquire an extra layer of granular detail that was not only useful for design, but for the marketing team and the copywriter as well.
To save time, I started out with simple wireframes created in Sketch for the 7 pages with the most traffic. The new flows were designed with the user personas, information architecture, and task model in mind. After one round of revisions I was able to move into high fidelity prototypes.
In order to keep visual consistency throughout the website, I created a UI kit with Sketch using a free template.
Before handing out the final project specifications to the developer, I created high fidelity mockups using Sketch and the paper wireframes as the blueprint. I then used these mockups as prototypes and did usability testing using Adobe xD.